01 May 2012

A beautiful weekend in Brno

After being here for a week or so we made the most of the gorgeous weather last weekend and decided to head into town to start some sightseeing.
First we headed to the Cathedral of St Peter and Paul and ascended the cathedral towers to enjoy the sunny view, followed by a quick peak inside.




We then took advantage of the many pubs nearby and dropped into 'Restaurace Spalicek' for a drink on the terrace overlooking the market. Here we watched the world go by for half and hour or so before taking a tour inside the Capuchin crypt.
The Baroque crypt is situated beneath the church of the Capuchin monastery and has been the last resting place for the monks of the Capuchin order, its patrons and other important personalities. Here you can see the mummification of the loosely buried bodies which is enabled by a unique system of air circulation. It is hard to believe they are actual bodies and definitely needs to be seen to be believed. It is forbidden to take photographs inside so I cant show you this.

We had planned on seeing next Spilberk Castle, unfortunately the pubs were beckoning us, as was lunch, so we will see that another time. We tried a steak house in Freedom Square and I got to test out my new translation cards. The waitress spoke fairly good English so I tried to explain my gluten-free requirements. She looked a little confused so I showed her the cards and straight away she went to speak to the chef who confirmed that my lunch choice was indeed safe for me to eat! Successful lunch! This gave me the confidence to try the cards out in another pub where we received an equally helpful response. So far so good finding places to eat. Friends and family visiting will be relieved to know I wont be dragging them to the same restaurant over and over again!!

2 comments:

  1. Holiday home looks great. LOVE the single beds.
    Keen to do a lot of sightseeing. Shall we start with the pubs then ease gradually to the cultural sights. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way we do it I'm afraid!! Look forward to having you stay x

      Delete